So this is my first vegan chocolate Cake attempt. NEVER in my whole life have I thought that this tastes better than anything else I’ve eaten before. And this Cake is totally vegan for real! Still can’t believe it!
I felt so much better the day I changed my eating habits and tried to eat more vegan. My stomach seems to like it. And if vegan brings out things like this Chocolate Pudding Cake I am all for it!
I found and adapted the recipe from the wonderful Spinach Revolution
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
½ cup cacao powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon instant coffee (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups of plant based milk
1 cup apple sauce
¼ cup apple cider or white vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¾ tin coconut milk (or if you want it to be richer, coconut cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup of sugar
¼ tin coconut milk (or cream that you used for the sauce)
2 x slabs (200g/7oz) of dark chocolate
1) Preheat the oven to 180 °C/350 °F
2) Lightly grease one 23cm/9” pan
3) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cacao, coffee and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, apple sauce, vinegar, vanilla and baking soda .
4) Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not overmix.
Fill the prepared cake pan with the batter.
5) Bake for 25 – 30 mins, or until a testing pin is inserted and comes out clean. A few crumbs clinging to
it, is not an issue.
6) Leave the cake out to cool.
Cook all the ingredients together at a low heat until it has a caramel colour, stir continuously
When the cake has cooled, pour the sauce over and let it stand so that it is all absorbed into the cake.
Melt ingredients together and pour over cooled cake.